Thursday, February 9, 2012

What plant will grow in dappled shade in a side-passage?

I live in a mediterranean sort of climate - wet, low frost winter - hot and dry summer.



Soil is clay, but I have a compost heap which I will dig through into the soil before planting.



I want to plant something (like a hedge) that will grow about 2 metres high and that has a dense habit.



MUST be a plant that will happily grow in dappled shade - this area gets about 1-2 hours of direct sunlight a day only. No strong winds here.



A house has been built next door and I have the unfortunate situation of their laundry, toilet and garage being right next to my bedroom windows. I need something that will provide a bit of a sound-cushion effect if possible.



I am happy to love and care for my plant but I don't want anything TOO fussy to look after. Prefer no flowers or low-pollen flowers. Must not be poisonous to dogs!!



Want to plant in the next week or so - must be readily available and able to be planted in Autumn.



Thank you so much for answering this question!

What plant will grow in dappled shade in a side-passage?
Whoa -- you gave a GREAT description of your yard and conditions!! It really helps!!



Shade shrubs:



Acuba japonica (Japanese aucuba) grows to 6' to 10' (sometimes 15') and almost as wide. I think that this is very attractive!! This would be my first choice!



Euonymus fortunei very cold hardy







There may be others that are good for your area. Be sure that the person advising you knows that the area will only get very limited sun.



Good Luck!!
Reply:You could try the coastal rosemary. It is hardy and would take those conditions. It does get a small flower but it answers all your other requirements.

DOG

No comments:

Post a Comment